James and I on our way toVegas

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Ornery egg...

So I went for my appointment this morning and had an ultrasound...
my uterine lining was thicker and the fluid pocket was a different shade, meaning he believed I have already ovulated he wanted to make sure so I went to the hospital for more blood-work.. He called when he got the results and it confirmed his thought, my progesterone levels were even higher than yesterday meaning I either ovulated yesterday or the day before.. That being the case our only option is to do an insemination today in hopes that I ovulated less that 48 hours ago (because an egg is only viable for 48hrs after it is released).. He had said he has NEVER seen this in his 20 yrs of practice.. His exact words were "this is so rare.. so rare that I have never seen this happen before" He was actually really pessimistic at first then apologized for being that way. So here is to hoping that my ornery egg that grew more than 2x the speed as my other eggs (I still have 10-15 on each side measuring 15mm each.. those poor little guys don't have a chance) meets with the sperm and gets me pregnant..

James had to go down to the "specimen room" and give us a sample...this is a picture of the room where he has to get in the "mood" and give us a cup of sperm...
Now if this room doesn't get you in the mood, I don't know what will....

After he came back they "wash" the sample.. sperm washing is required prior to an IUI because it removes chemicals, which may cause adverse reactions in the uterus. It also enhances the fertilizing capacity of the sperm. They also count and check the sperm count, sperm mobility and motility. When they came in they told James once again that he has "super sperm" and they hardly ever see a sample this great! so that is always a plus... It takes about 30 mins for them to do the washing of the sperm.. then it was go time for the insemination.

 It only takes a few minuets to do the insemination, then they have me lay there with my hips elevated.. Gravity could only help, right? They set a timer for 10 mins and set the sperm timer.. (James and I wanted to take the timer but we were the only patients in there so they would have known it was us)
Laying there for 10 mins feels like forever..
James and I before the insemination

Letting gravity to it's job...

James waiting.. hoping his "Super sperm" are meeting up with my egg
 So now we do not need to be seen again.. They did give me 1mL of HCG today and I will give myself .5mL of HCG on Tuesday and Friday.. and in 14 days I can take a pregnancy test.. The Dr. was joking in saying that if I do get pregnant my child will most likely be ornery since this egg sure was by not following directions..
So all we can do is try and be positive and hope this one little early bird egg does the trick..
I know, I know this was the longest post ever.. but a lot happened today.. Thanks for all of your support and positive thoughts and energy.. Tonight James and I are going to go to Dave and Busters with Lauren, Quin and my sister Ame and play like kids and try not to think about it...I will continue to post during my 2 week wait..


2 comments:

  1. So, are you two allowed to have sex during, while, before or after this procedure? Any chances a stray sperm was already in there waiting to fertilize? What an exhausting day it has been. Keep your spirits up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a day! I loved all of the pictures you posted along with the blog. I love you and am SENDING YOU LOTS AND LOTS of positive energy and baby wishes!

    ReplyDelete