James and I on our way toVegas

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Tomorrow is the Egg Retrieval

Tomorrow is the big day! My Egg Retrieval.. This is when we will see how many eggs I actually have. As of Friday I had about 36 follicles. Their computer chart can only chart 15 for each side so that is all you will see in the photo below they had to write down the rest on paper. Having this many is typical in people with PCOS and because of this I am at a higher risk of hyper-stimulating after the eggs are removed, so Dr. Montville put me on Cabergoline 0.5MG for 8 days. He said that studies have shown that taking this will help reduce my chances of hyper-stimulation and will not have any effect of my chances of getting pregnant.
James and I being silly while waiting for the Dr.
List of all my growing follicles
At our appointment on Friday the Dr. told us that it was time for us to take the HCG shot that night and have the removal on Sunday (which is one day sooner than they had 'guessed'). I signed my consent form for the surgery and was told the usual of do not eat or drink after midnight or you will turn into a gremlin and to be there an hour early. So, tomorrow morning we will be at the surgery center at 9:30am! For those of you who do not know what the process is let me explain in my words!

Tomorrow they will sedate me with versed and propofol (yes, propofol is the drug Micheal Jackson OD'ed on) they sedate me because otherwise it would be so painful they would probably have to have someone hold my legs open. So, once I am 'out' they will use the same ultrasound probe they used to monitor the follicles (photo of said probe is in last post) except this time there will be a tube with a needle on it attached to the probe. They will inset that inside of me into my uterus and up near the ovaries (which mine right now are 5 times the normal size) they then will suck all the fluid out of the follicles, all 36 of them. They then will put the fluid in a warm test tube ( that is where people got the saying 'test tube baby') and then it is handed over to the embryologist who will get rid of all the fluid and take out the egg which is microscopic and put the egg in a petri dish. While I am having this done James will be in the 'jack-off room' giving his sample. Once all the eggs are in the dish they then will 'wash James' sperm' and then pour them over my eggs and hope they fertilize. "In Vitro" literally means "in glass" which is where it is in before they remove the egg. I hope you all liked my science lesson. I am now off to bed and I will let you all know tomorrow on many eggs I end up having.. Fingers crossed it is a lot and that everything goes as planned.. Sleep tight everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment