James and I on our way toVegas

Sunday, September 30, 2012

May the odds be ever in our favor!

On Friday September 28, 2012 I had my implantation. We had to be at the surgical center at 9:15am and I had to have a full bladder. When we arrived we were very anxious to find out how many embryos made it to day 5 and just excited to get to this point in our journey. 

Once we were called back, they did an ultrasound on my bladder to make sure it was full. They need a full bladder so it is out of the way from the uterus. Then Dr. Montville came in and talked with us and showed us our little blastocyst. As I had stated on Wednesday (day 3), there were 8, and as of the day of our transfer we had 6. Two of them did not continue to mature and were discarded. Out of the 6, which were all in great we did have one that was "perfect" as he had said. He said it was graded the best grade they give them and this is what they strive to see in the 5 day blasts. He then talked to us about how many we should implant and even though we went in there thinking we were for sure going to have 2 implanted we decided to go with the Dr. and embryologists recommendation for our first attempt and implant one. 

The success rate of pregnancy with implanting one is 55% and the success rate for implanting two is 57% however, the rate for triplets increases to 30% with two. We just figured with all the complications that can happen if, for some reason, we did get pregnant with triplets it was best to implant one on our first cycle and we do think it is best to listen to the experts. This way we will also have some to freeze which is what we need. The most expensive part of IVF is getting the eggs ready, the retrieval and growing of them. We know that we could never afford another fresh cycle and really wanted to make sure we had some to freeze. We find out how many made it to be frozen tomorrow. We are hoping they call with the number being the remaining 5.
James and I holding a picture of our Embryos!
A very magnified image of the blastocyst that was implanted
Our little embryos!
Once my bladder was full we went to the surgical room, James was allowed to come in. We then got to see the embryo on the screen which was of course magnified and on the other screen was the ultrasound and we got to see it being implanted. Once it was implanted James got to wheel me to recovery where I had to stay laying down for over 30 mins. After that, we were able to go home.  I asked if it was okay for me to drive the 4 hours back to Casper and the Dr. said that would be fine and to just take it easy this weekend and by Monday I can go back to work as normal. I was so excited to get to go home to Casper it had been a long 2 weeks!
James getting ready to go into the surgical room

This was right after being implanted! laying there hoping that our little embryo is getting comfy in there.
I want to thank everyone again for all the support and amazing positive thoughts and energy. Now, I need to wait until next Wednesday to find out if it worked and if I am pregnant. I am so glad I am going back to work so I can stay busy and TRY not to think about it.. Ha ha like that is even possible.. 
May the odds be ever in our favor!!

No comments:

Post a Comment